Let’s be honest, even the best state-of-the-art alarm system is no match for hardened criminals. Even if you install security gates and burglar bars to all windows or outside doors, there’s no guarantee that you won’t fall victim to crime.
Be that as it may, every little bit helps: every security measure you implement makes it that little bit harder for criminals to get access to your home. For this reason alone, we really want to encourage you to do whatever it takes to secure your home.
1. Install a burglar alarm and make sure it's activated every time you leave.
2. Install security lighting around your home (you may want to opt for motion-detectors).
3. Leave some of the lights on when you go out at night. If you can install a timer switch to switch lights off and on at set intervals, that’s even better.
4. Install good quality security gates or barriers (e.g. Trellidor) to all outer doors for added protection.
5. Fit burglar bars over all opening windows.
6. Fit spacers, locks or bolts to all sliding doors to prevent thieves from lifting the door off its tracks.
7. Always lock all doors and windows when you leave your home and at night when you go to bed.
8. Make sure that all outside locks have a minimum of four lever locks or double cylinder security locks.
9. Do not leave a key on the inside of a door which has a glass panel or glass close to the door lock.
10. Don’t leave keys under doormats or under flower pots.
11. Lock all duplicate keys away safely when not in use.
12. Don’t leave any tools out that thieves could potentially use as a weapon or tool to gain access to your home. Also make sure that the garage and tool shed is locked properly.
13. Install a safe for any weapons and valuables.
14. Keep your valuables out of sight and make sure it’s not visible from the outside.
15. Keep hedges near your front door and garage trimmed to avoid anyone using these spots as a hiding place.
1. Ask your friends or neighbours to drop in occasionally to collect mail, water the flowers, or park in your driveway to give the illusion of occupancy.
2. Test your alarm (at least four weeks before you plan to leave on holiday) to ensure that this it’s in working order.
3. Make sure that you’ve locked all windows and doors.
4. Add additional security to sliding doors by placing a piece of wood or metal cut to size in the sliding rail. This will ensure that the sliding door cannot be lifted.
If you need to submit a claim, we’ll be there for you. We will do our bit to get your insurance claim processed as quickly as we possibly can and to compensate you for your loss.
Simply call our claims department on 08 600 70 000 and let us take care of everything.
If you do not have contents insurance in place at the moment, why not get this sorted as soon as possible? You can call us on 08 600 60 000 or you can get an online quote now.