Car insurance outside of South Africa

Travelling outside of SA? You’ll be required to have third party insurance in place. Thankfully, if your vehicle is insured with OUTsurance, you won’t need to worry about a thing.

If you’re travelling outside of SA borders to countries such as Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi, Lesotho and Botswana, you’ll be required to have third party insurance in place in case you can be held liable for causing damage to another vehicle or injury to someone else.

At OUTsurance, we cover this as standard.

Thankfully, if your vehicle is insured with OUTsurance, you won’t need to worry about a thing. All of our car insurance products (comprehensive, limited, liability to other parties only) already make provision for third party damage. In fact, if you’ve taken out comprehensive insurance, you’ll also be covered for accidental damage, intentional damage, fire, theft, and acts of nature. Even though you won’t need to inform us about your plans to travel to these countries, we strongly suggest that you take proof of vehicle insurance with you to show to the border officials. If you need any help with this, simply call our Client Care Department on 08 600 70 000 – the team would love to assist.

If you’re traveling to Kenya, Angola, Uganda, Tanzania, or Zambia, you may want to purchase our OUT-in-Africa vehicle insurance cover before you leave. In short, this option will provide you with additional cover for:

  • full off-road use of your vehicle;
  • mechanical and electrical breakdown of the vehicle and watercraft, including anti-theft devices;
  • medical repatriation of your vehicle and its occupants;
  • emergency accommodation following a claimable incident;
  • emergency repairs to get the vehicle mobile and fully functional following an accident.

Please take note that in case of OUT-in-Africa cover, country-specific third party insurance will still need to be taken out at the relevant border posts of the above countries, if so required.

Frequently asked questions
When will I need to inform OUTsurance that I’m travelling outside SA borders?

Please give us a call if you will be travelling outside South Africa for a period of more than six months, or if you’re travelling to any of these countries for business purposes.

I’ve been involved in an accident outside of SA borders, what now?

You will need to provide proof of your vehicle insurance, your vehicle registration, as well as your driver’s license. Please contact OUTsurance immediately on (+27) 08 600 70 000 to submit your claim and also make sure to visit the nearest police station to report the accident and submit a statement.

What if the car or trailer is registered or insured in someone else’s name?

First off, make sure to get a letter of permission the vehicle or trailer is registered in someone else’s name and have this stamped at your local SA police station. You will need to provide this letter together with the original vehicle registration papers to the border officials. If the vehicle or trailer is insured with OUTsurance, it’s probably best if the facility holder gives us a call beforehand so that we can make sure that you won’t have any hassles with this at the border post.

Will my South African driver’s license be recognised in countries outside South Africa?

Your SA driver’s license is recognised in all countries that form part of the Southern African Development Community (SADC). This includes Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, United Republic of Tanzania, the United Republic of Congo, Zambia and Zimbabwe.