Car theft is a depressing reality that will probably forever have us checking and double checking that our car doors are locked, our windows are closed and that absolutely nothing of value is left behind for the taking.
Even so, applying a few basic principles might just make a world of difference in preventing this from ever happening to you.
1. Always lock all doors and park in a well-lit area.
2. Wherever possible, opt for secure, monitored parking as opposed to free parking on a side street.
3. Avoid parking close to the exit of the parking lot. Instead, park as close as possible to the entrance to the mall or in an area where there will be a constant flow of people walking past.
4. Never leave your keys in the ignition, even if you just quickly drop off something at the video store or withdraw cash at the ATM.
5. Never hide your keys or spare keys in an obvious location (in the wheel well or under the car).
6. Never leave any valuables (e.g. jackets, sunglasses, laptop) in plain sight – it’s always best to take these with you or if you have no other choice, to lock these in the boot, this will also prevent smash and grab. The same goes if you have a radio with a removeable face plate.
7. Once you’ve parked your vehicle, leave your car in gear with the handbrake on and turn your front wheels to the curb.
8. Always lock your car doors, even when your car is parked outside in the driveway.
9. When you’re at home, try to keep your car keys in a safe, not-so-obvious location (i.e. not on the key rack next to the front door).
10. Invest in a proper alarm system or fit an electronic immobiliser if you have not done so already.
Step1: Contact the police immediately to report the incident. You’ll need to provide them with your registration number, VIN number, and a description of the vehicle.
Step 2: If you have a tracker installed, call your tracking company and activate the tracker.
Step 3: Call OUTsurance on 08 600 70 000 to submit your claim. If you’ve selected our car hire option, we’ll get the ball rolling so that you’ll be provided with a rental car as soon as possible.
What happens if my car has been recovered, but I’ve already submitted a claim?
If your vehicle is recovered prior to the claim being settled, we will assess the vehicle for any damage. If there’s no damage, we’ll return the vehicle to you. However, if your vehicle has been damaged and repairs need to be made, we’ll be happy to process your claim and get your vehicle repaired as soon as possible.
Will my premium be increased if I report my car stolen?
At OUTsurance, your premium is guaranteed for a period of 12 months. So, even if you report your car stolen – your premium will not be affected during this period.
Will I still be covered for theft if my car is stolen outside SA borders?
Yes, if you’ve taken out either of our comprehensive insurance or limited insurance packages – you’ll also be covered against theft in countries outside of South Africa, such as Namibia, Swaziland, Mozambique, Malawi, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe.